Lyle is a technical staff member at the Combustion Research Facility. He received a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and M.S and B.S. degrees from Brigham Young University, all in mechanical engineering. He is a founder and leader of the Engine Combustion Network collaboration. He has given 15 invited or keynote presentations, 12 additional invited seminars, and three invited book chapters, among other accomplishments.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- 2014 K. E. Bastress Award
- Society of Automotive Engineers Fellow
- SAE Excellence in Oral Presentation award